How to split a Google Sheets tab
The easiest way to split a Google Sheets tab using Split CSV
SplitCSV.com is the easiest way to split a large CSV or Excel (with a file extension of .csv or .xlsx) file into multiple files, and now natively supports Google Sheets. If you have a Google Sheets tab you need split into smaller pieces or separated out based on one of the values, read on! Here is the easiest way to split a Google Sheets tab into smaller CSV files (or other Google Sheets files!)
- Go to https://www.splitcsv.com/
- Click on the Google Sheets button: this will open a Google Drive file picker, that conveniently shows all the sheets in your Google account.
- Once you select a file and click the Select button, Split CSV will load the file. If there are multiple tabs to select from, you will be prompted to pick one. Make a selection from the dropdown and then click Upload.
- Your selection will be uploaded and the number of rows will be displayed. You can click the Split Options button to continue.
- Once the Split Options page loads, make your selections: below, we are splitting by value. Click the Output Details button to continue once you've made your selection.
- On the Output Details page, pick where you want the split files to be saved: below, we are downloading a zip file with the individual files, but we could choose to save them back to Google Drive as well. Click the Advanced Options button to continue.
- You can now select any advanced options, including dropping specific columns, re-ordering the output column order or adding new additional columns. Select Confirm Order to verify your selections.
- Once your selections are verified, click the Split button.
- You'll get a confirmation message, and shortly afterwards the split will show progress updates. You can close the window or choose to wait for the results: you will receive an email once the split is completed.
- Once the split is complete, you can download the results.