Split a large CSV file into files of a specific size
How to split a CSV file into files of a specific size
Split CSV is the easiest way to split a CSV file into smaller files. Very often, large CSV files may pose problems when opening in other applications or importing into specialized editors or programs like Excel, Airtable or Google Sheets. If you find yourself encountering errors when you try to open your files then you may need to split the CSV file into smaller files of less than a specific size (for example Excel Online in Office 365 is limited to 250MB files). Here's how:
- Go to https://www.splitcsv.com
- Click the Choose File button and select your large CSV file. The file will begin uploading immediately.
- Indicate whether or not there is a header section, and if so how many lines should be copied into each split file.
- Select the Size tab and then enter the appropriate size in bytes (for this examble, 200000000 bytes will work).
- Press the Confirm button to verify the choices, then press the Split button to queue the split up and view the receipt.
- The split will be queued for completion, and should be executed shortly. The receipt page will refresh to include a link to the split results: all results will be zipped up for download.
Note that all uploaded files will be kept for at most 7 days before being deleted: depending on volume it could be earlier. At no time is the original source file downloadable, and the link to download the results will only be available on the receipt page, no where else.